Hollywood megastar Robert De Niro and former United States vice president Joe Biden were the latest targets on Thursday of a spree of 10 devices and pipe bombs sent to opponents of Donald Trump as the president lashed out at the media for stirring up "anger".
Cesar Sayoc is seen in a booking photo, in Miami.
A bomb squad unit removed a package that was addressed to the Hollywood actor at his office in Manhattan.
A Florida man was arrested and was being questioned Friday in connection with the string of pipe bombs sent to prominent critics of President Trump.
The U.S. Secret Service said the package addressed to Clinton was discovered late Tuesday, intercepted at a mail screening facility near her home in a NY suburb where she lives with her husband, former President Bill Clinton.
All the suspicious packages were believed to have gone through the USA postal system at some point, the source said.
CNN president Jeff Zucker, whose employees were forced to evacuate their NY bureau on Wednesday by the discovery of the pipe bomb in the mail room, slammed the White House for its "complete lack of understanding" about "the seriousness of their continued attacks on the media". It was a first break in a case that has seized the national conversation and spread fear of election-season violence with little precedent in the U.S.
Florida records show that Sayoc has a lengthy criminal record in the state, including a 2002 arrest for a bomb threat and others for larceny and fraud.
Others have been intended for people including former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, former Attorney General Eric Holder, philanthropist George Soros, former Vice President Joe Biden and Rep. Maxine Waters.
A suspicious package addressed to Democratic Sen.
In Washington, Attorney General Jeff Sessions cautioned that Sayoc had only been charged, not convicted.
Pressed by reporters Thursday on whether there could be a link between Trump's insults of political opponents and the bombs, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders replied, "the president is certainly not responsible for sending suspicious packages to someone no more than (Democratic Party Senator) Bernie Sanders was responsible for a supporter of his shooting up a baseball field practice past year". I'm confident that this attack on our democracy will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Investigators digging for mail-bomb motive
Most of those devices showed the presence of a sulfur substance , which could have exploded, a law enforcement official said. All 10 packages went through the U.S. mail, according to multiple law enforcement officials familiar with the investigation.
Several law enforcement officials from various agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, gathered in the parking lot of an Auto Zone in Plantation earlier in the day, where investigators were focused on a white van with pro-Trump political stickers covering the windows.
A van was taken away from the scene of the arrest of Cesar Sayoc, 56, in a Florida business vehicle park.
Another said "CNN Sucks", along with an image of Trump standing on a tank in front of fireworks and an American flag. "This is not the Trump that needs to change, it is us".
CNN hasn't responded to messages seeking comment before business hours.
Wray said 13 bombs had been recovered, but there may be others.
The packages addressed to Biden were intercepted at DE mail facilities in New Castle and Wilmington, according to a law enforcement official who, like others, wasn't authorized to discuss the investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Authorities already were aware at least one Biden package by Wednesday; it had been misaddressed and returned to sender, and postal officials were trying to track it down, two law enforcement sources said. Authorities did not find anything suspicious.
One package was addressed to Cory Booker, a prominent Democratic senator widely touted as a future presidential candidate and discovered in a Florida facility.
Investigators believe the mailings were staggered.
Authorities appealed to the public for tips at a Thursday afternoon news conference in NY.
"This is someone sitting down and spending time thinking about what they're going to do to someone else". They were working to determine for sure.
The officials weren't authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation and spoke Friday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. He also had several arrests for theft in the 1990s. He filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
Sisak reported from NY.