Cops had fired as many as 20 times on Clark, 22, in his grandmother's backyard after a chase prompted by reports of auto break-ins. Sacramento police tactics and the decision to shoot were also called into question and led the California Justice Department to publish 49 recommendations for reforming use-of-force policies and training. Demonstrators in Sacramento blocked fans from entering National Basketball Association games, marched on the city's streets and gathered at a City Council meeting to protest.
Clark's family, including his two sons, his parents and his grandparents, filed a wrongful-death lawsuit in January seeking more than $20 million from the city, Mercadal and Robinet.
Her comments came shortly after Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced the officers did lawfully used lethal force.
Both said Clark had been standing with his arms at chest level and pointed toward the officers.
"We must stand w/ Stephon Clark 's family and pursue justice".
Stevante Clark called on California's attorney general to prosecute them after the local district attorney declined to do so. "That job means that I follow the facts in the law and that, in that process of this review, that we treat everyone with dignity, grace and fairness".
Now the Sacramento district attorney says it's unjust to charge these officers with Stephon's murder.
"We must recognize that [police officers] are often forced to make split-second decisions".
"Officers aren't required to use the least amount of force but they should be", said Lisa McCormick, a progressive Democratic activist.
House Judiciary to request documents from Trump Jr., dozens more
Nadler went on to explain, "Eleven-hundred times [Trump] referred to the Mueller investigation as a witch hunt". A spokesman for the Judiciary Committee declined to comment.
In an hour-long press conference, Schubert justified her decision to not file any charges against Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet, referring to the bodycam and helicopter police videos from the scene, accounts given by the witnesses, an initial 911 call alerting police on a suspected vehicle burglary, multiple evaluations of Clark's autopsy report and his cell phone history. There's no question that a human being died.
SCHUBERT: You can see that there were many things weighing heavily on his mind. Three minutes passed after the shooting before police officers identified themselves to Mr. Clark, and he did not receive medical attention for six minutes. His last text message to his girlfriend was a photo of 10 Xanax in the palm of his hand with the message, "Let's fix our family or I'm taking all of these".
About 20 shots are heard in the body camera recording.
"We all need healing".
The officers later said they believed Clark had been holding a gun, though Clark was discovered to be unarmed after the shooting. Hie said an officer's response to a suspect's actions should be proportional to the nature of a threat and that he or she "exhaust all reasonably available alternatives before using deadly force". It's about when the officers murdered my fiancé. Sacramento Bee reporter Sam Stanton joins CBSN to discuss the reaction.
The shooting of Stephon Clark by police in Sacramento, California, a year ago saw the city being swept by mass protests that disrupted road traffic, a city council meeting and even delayed several basketball games as police struggled to quell the tensions.
Stephon Clark's family reacted with anger and dismay to Saturday's announcement. "It's our job to bear some of that pain and to help translate the anguish and grieving and the historic pain [of black communities] into tangible and real change".
Schubert detailed a picture of Clark as a 22-year-old man going through a tumultuous time in his life, anxious about jail time after being accused of assaulting the mother of his children days earlier.