More than 200 Canadians due to be evacuated from the Chinese city of Wuhan should continue making their way to the airport if they are already on their way, even though their flight out of the centre of the new coronavirus outbreak has been delayed another day, Canada's foreign affairs minister said Wednesday.
No one got on or off the repatriation flight, chartered by the federal government, when it stopped to refuel at YVR around 9 p.m. Thursday night.
The government had space for 211 passengers on the first flight.
One evacuee, Edward Wang, was promised a seat on the USA plane along with his mother, also a Canadian citizen.
Global Affairs Canada advised passengers to expect delays, noting that Chinese authorities would be performing health screening and immigration controls before people were allowed to board.
The viral outbreak that began in China's central Hubei province has infected more than 31,400 people worldwide.
Another 39 Canadians in Wuhan who were on board an American State Department-chartered evacuation flight landed in Vancouver and boarded a chartered flight to the air base in Trenton, a Canadian government official said.
Canada's current travel advisory recommends against all non-essential travel to China and Champagne said his encouragement for Canadians to consider leaving is an extension of that advice.
Tom Brady's free-agency suitors should heed his new Super Bowl warning
"I don't certainly want to take away from anything that is happening today", he said, in reference to the Super Bowl . The image of the two of them chatting added to the speculation that Brady would be open to playing football in Nevada.
Canadian officials have documented five cases of coronavirus in the country so far.
"I think it's a good thing because everybody who wants to depart will have a third chance to come back to Canada", Champagne said at a news conference Thursday in Ottawa.
Passengers told local media that most slept through the long flight.
The family was informed they had a spot on the plane out to Canada, Schellenberg said, but they were having trouble getting to the airport because the Chinese government was requiring a special permit to leave Honghu.
Champagne noted "a small number of no-shows" at the Wuhan airport who had "changed their minds at the last minute".
A statement from Princess Cruises says 10 people have tested positive for the virus, but none are Canadian.
According to the email, people who are exhibiting symptoms of the virus won't be allowed onto the plane that will be departing from China.
The government is also monitoring the well-being of 285 Canadians quarantined on two cruise ships off the coast of Japan and Hong Kong.