"We believe the prudent decision is to cancel our participation at MWC and want to express our honest thanks to the GSMA and other authorities for their tireless efforts to address the challenges resulting from Covid-19, and they have our full support as they move forward", the company added.
In a statement released Sunday (Feb. 9), event organizers said the show would go on in Barcelona as scheduled later this month. These include a ban on all visitors from China's Hubei province where the coronavirus originated, mandatory proof that attendees who have visited China have not been to China for at least 14 days, temperature screening and self-certification.
A report in Wired suggests insurance policies would not cover losses if GSMA chooses to cancel the event, rather than being required to do so by authorities declaring a health emergency.
Despite numerous high profile withdrawals, it appears Mobile World Congress, the premier smartphone conference of the tech calendar is not itself being cancelled.
Trains, flights and ferries disrupted in aftermath of Storm Ciara
Weather warnings have been rife this week - with a snow and ice warning issued for Greater Manchester tomorrow (February 13), too. The damage to homes and cars caused by storm Ciara over the weekend could go up to around €150m, insurers estimated on Tuesday.
Analysts anticipate that Coronavirus breakout could impact the production of nearly every major tech company in the world, as all of them are having China as base for production plants. The event was scheduled to start on the 24th of February in Barcelona, but due to increasing concerns over coronavirus, the organiser of the event GSMA is cancelling it.
Here's a list of who's dropped out or scaled back their presence at MWC 2020. Ulefone has reached out to announce that it will not attend MWC 2020 due to a threat that is Coronavirus. The reason for the cancelation is not far fetched - Coronavirus outbreak fears.
You can check out the full list of companies that have withdrawn from MWC this year below.
Earlier on Wednesday, Nokia said it would be "prudent" for the company to withdraw from the trade show to ensure the safety of its staff.
Nvidia: Chip maker Nvidia also said it was skipping MWC and not sending any employees to the show. The event is the largest annual meeting of the telecommunications industry, with companies that spend millions on stands and hospitality to fill their order books. It will host a YouTube press event on February 24 where it's expected to unveil a new smartphone.