There have been an additional 27 people confirmed to have COVID-19 overnight in the province, bringing the total to 146 people in Alberta confirmed to have the virus to date.
The move, announced by Premier Jason Kenney on Tuesday, prohibits Albertans from attending public venues including casinos, bars and nightclubs. Hinshaw said she couldn't predict how many more deaths and hospitalizations there would be, but said it's up to the community to follow social distancing procedures in an effort to prevent them.
"The situation is very serious and we are taking action more effectively to protect Albertans against this pandemic", said Kenney.
As of March 19th, 2019, 10 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in the Alberta Health Services North Zone.
Sit-down restaurants are permitted to stay open but are limited to 50 people or half their capacity, whichever is lower.
To further ease the burden on the healthcare system and Health Link 811, the province launched an online self-assessment tool which has been accessed millions of times since it went live earlier this week.
Alex Corretja: I See the Olympic Games as Almost Impossible
Many qualifications events have been postponed because of the coronavirus. "I mean, we're only a week in this country", he added. With the exception of the two world wars, the Olympics have never been canceled since they began in their modern guise in 1896.
However, a gathering in Calgary led to a number of community transmissions and a dental conference led to six cases in the province.
Dawe says there are "dozens upon dozens" of Hinshaw relatives living in the area. This includes care related to COVID-19 as well as care not related to the virus.
She also noted there may be special circumstances where critical-care members will continue to work under extra precautions while asymptomatic.
Hinshaw urges everyone to take social distancing and self isolation seriously.
Italy surpassed China as the country with the most COVID-19 deaths on Thursday.