The Vancouver Canucks still have a chance to pick first overall in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.
The lottery - used to determine the first 15 picks in the draft - will include the seven teams that did not make the Stanley Cup qualifiers, plus eight teams that will be eliminated in the playoff qualifiers.
The NHL held eight placeholder spots in the lottery for teams competing in the league's resume to play.
The Los Angeles Kings, with a 9.5 percent chance at the No. 1 pick, moved up and will get the No. 2 pick, and the Ottawa Senators, who had a combined 25 percent chance at the top pick, will select No. 3 and No. 5.
The Senators own the second-best odds at 13.5 per cent after sitting 30th overall at the time the National Hockey League season was paused on March 12, but also possess the San Jose Sharks' first-round pick (11.5 per cent) for a combined 25 per cent chance at picking No. 1.
Seven teams who missed out on the league's play resume were in the lottery, along with eight placeholders for teams that will be eliminated.
Say hello to PLACEHOLDER TEAM, Alexis Lafreniere.
The 6-foot-1, 200-pound-Lafreniere had 114 goals and 297 points in 173 games with Rimouski in the Quebec Major Junior League.
Counties in every state where COVID-19 cases are growing fastest
Wednesday's total is based on cases reported by labs to the county on Tuesday, and the chart shows 498 cases for that date. Of the county's 93 deaths, 70, or 75.3%, are associated with long-term care facilities, according to MCDH data.
Meanwhile, Sidney Crosby's Pittsburgh Penguins or Connor McDavid's Edmonton Oilers could get lucky again or Taylor Hall could bring his lottery luck to a third franchise.
Manufacturing maddening draft lottery outcomes out of thin air (or paper thin lottery balls) is the NHL's modus operandi.
"I'm not really surprised", Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman said.
Detroit finished with 39 points, 23 points behind 30th-place Ottawa, and was the biggest loser of the night dropping out of the top three. The five other teams not advancing past the qualifying round will have the next six picks.
"Ultimately, let's see in a few years when we see how the draft shakes out and who becomes a good player", Yzerman said.
"We can sit here today and feel sorry for ourselves".