"As the medical team of health I'm performing to implement new activities as quickly as you possibly can reflect the seriousness of this disease levels we're seeing", p Villa said. "Please follow the health guidance". It is absolutely critical.
It was a subdued Premier Doug Ford at his daily media briefing on Monday as new COVID-19 cases set records in Ontario.
The frightening number of new cases - the most ever recorded for a single day in Ontario, 700 - is a clanging alarm bell that should prompt immediate action to stop the spread. "But what we don't know yet is how bad the second wave will be".
If stricter public health measures aren't put in place, this province could exceed 1,000 new cases of COVID-19 per day.
Testing is also up compared to the first wave, when the province was struggling to conduct 10,000 daily tests. On Sunday, more than 41,000 tests were completed.
"We need to be more cautious than in the first round, not less". "We can not wait for the red alert". He noted the virus is presenting itself differently now and presenting itself differently across the province. No new cases were reported in Hastings Prince Edward or Renfrew County and District.
Dale said that the average acute care occupancy rate of Ontario's hospitals is 89 per cent now, but some of the facilities are already at 100 per cent capacity. The province declared 700 new cases today, after a string of days in the 400s.
Husband-wife team study why children are less affected by COVID-19
Although it seems to be non-virulent , it has shown to increase the number of spike proteins on the surface of the virus. The new mutation has adapted itself to be more powerful, more deadly and longer-lasting in humans.
Sutcliffe says - so far - no cases of COVID-19 have been reported at school sites in the health unit's catchment area.
"We shouldn't need to slide back into Stage Two", she said. But if we do have to, we will.
Ontario's chief medical officer of health confirmed the virus is mutating but it is still unclear if that has weakened the virus at all.
"There is an immediate and rising risk in Toronto of continued and significant COVID-19 resurgence", de Villa stressed."This is not the time to panic, it is the time to act". Twenty-nine people are now in ICU, with 17 on ventilators. One more death in the province was reported Monday, bringing the total to 2,840.
Outbreaks continue at four long-term care and retirement facilities - Meadow Park Care Centre, Peoplecare Oak Crossing, Ashwood Manor Retirement Home, and Country Terrace. This forms yet another pillar of the province's plan to respond to the second and subsequent waves of COVID-19, the details of which have been gradually revealed over the last week.
Chief medical officer Dr. David Williams said it's hard to predict how bad the second wave will be, but "we have to assume it could be a lot worse" than the first wave, and advised Ontarians to "hunker down" to reverse the trend.
Christine Elliott, Ontario's health minister, said during a session of the Ontario Legislature Monday.