The processes we now have in place to protect staff and members of the public are in compliance with the new measures announced by the Province, and will ensure ongoing business continuity as we continue to deliver the essential municipal services on which our community relies.
Some essential workers fear the latest "shutdown" Premier Doug Ford is imposing on Ontario will do little to protect them from COVID-19.
The measures take effect Saturday and continue for at least four weeks.
With the newly updated numbers, there are an additional 27 patients being reported in intensive care.
Variants now account for about 67 per cent of all new infections in Ontario, the science table says, and seem to be causing more serious forms of COVID-19 in a younger cohort of people than seen during the first or second waves. "That is our best protection against this deadly virus".
Dr. Brown believes schools should be the last to close and first to open because of the impacts the shutdowns have on children.
Ontario declared a four-week state of emergency after hitting a record for the number of Covid-19 patients in intensive care, driven by virus strains that are more contagious and unsafe.
Essential retail stores are capped at 50 per cent of their maximum capacity and non-essential stores are limited to 25 per cent.
US Capitol under lockdown after security threat
But CBS News reported that security officials had already warned congressional staffers of a threat before the vehicle ramming. Video posted online showed a dark-coloured sedan crashed against a vehicle barrier and a police K9 inspecting the vehicle.
Schools remain open because, the government says, they are crucial to students' mental health.
In-person dining (indoor and outdoor) is prohibited.
A government spokesperson said the measures are somewhat different from those in the grey "lockdown" tier of Ontario's COVID-19 restrictions system.
Personal care services such as hair salons are closed.
The last time the province reported a daily case total above the 2,500 mark was on January 22, during the height of the second wave, when 2,662 infections were reported. They're already under similar restrictions to the ones announced for the rest of the province on Thursday, but Ford is calling the new measures a "shutdown".
And despite being under shutdown since last November, Toronto, Canada's biggest city and the country's financial hub, remains Canada's biggest COVID hot spot.
New modelling data released on Thursday suggests that even with further restrictions, including a stay-at-home order, COVID-19 admissions to intensive care units could reach 800 by the end of the month.
For the past week, Ontario has reported an average of about 2,300 new cases of COVID-19 per day, including 2,333 cases and 15 deaths on Wednesday when the province hit its record high for the number of COVID-19 patients in ICUs.