During a press conference on Wednesday, Premier Doug Ford officially announced that schools would remain closed for in-person learning until the fall while simultaneously indicating that he would still like to see them permitted to "host in-person, outdoor graduation events" so that students can "reconnect outside before the end of the year". Before and after school programs will remain closed and will continue to not charge parent fees, which is prohibited during the remote learning period.
"It could be possible that thousands of new cases would arise from sending students and staff back into classrooms until vaccines in arms are administered to all who are within the age groups, vulnerabilities, etc., ventilation systems in all schools are updated, and there can be a safe and normal re-entry into classrooms in September", Jankowski said.
"For many kids, decisions by government will impact their learning, development, physical and mental health not only now but for years to come", the Children's Health Coalition said in a statement.
Last week, Ford asked stakeholders to weigh in on reopening schools.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford is scheduled to address the media with Education Minister Stephen Lecce and Health Minister Christine Elliott at Queen's Park at 1 p.m.
Ontario students will not be returning to the classrooms for the remainder of the academic school year, leaving many parents frustrated and anxious for the wellbeing of their children.
"In a pandemic, in COVID-19, three months is an eternity", Arruda said.
Ontario reported 733 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday and 25 more deaths from the virus.
UK PM Johnson marries fiancee in secret ceremony
But dancing is advised against due to the increased risk of transmission, except for the couple's traditional first dance. Earlier this month the Sun had reported that wedding invitations had been sent to friends and family for July 2022 .
Keeping kids out of school is to protect families from the B.1.617.2 variant of concern and allow for higher rates of vaccination, according to the province.
"We fully understand the importance of school for children's mental health and academic development", Doris Grinspun wrote on Twitter. "They must stop undermining public education and make it a priority". Schools will continue to remain open for in-person learning for special education students who can not be accommodated through remote learning until the end of June. He also said teachers and eligible students will all be offered two doses of the COVID-19 before in-person learning resumes.
The gates in front of Sydenham Public School in Kingston will not be unlocked anytime soon as the Ford government announced that Ontario schools will remain closed until the end of the school year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. "They don't want to sit in front of the screens all day", she said.
"Making this tough decision now will allow kids to safely enjoy camps and outdoor activities this summer, and a safe return to school in September".
We could know the fate of the current school year later today.
Students in Windsor-Essex and across Ontario are being forced to continue at-home learning for the rest of the academic year.
Ontario students have been online learning since after spring break in mid-April.