Dr. Andrew Morris, an infectious diseases specialist and a member Ontario's COVID-19 science advisory table, recently said on Twitter that while the AstraZeneca vaccine served its objective, its use could be limited now that there is enough supply of the Pfizer and Moderna shots.
The decision to pause is also based on the increased and reliable supply of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines and the downward trend in cases.
This decision was made out of an abundance of caution due to an observed increase in the rare blood clotting condition, known as vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT), linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine.
But Dr. Jessica Hopkins, Ontario's chief health protection and emergency preparedness officer, said Tuesday that increasing availability of alternative vaccines means it's now time to ask if Ontarians should preferentially choose another product.
Tom McMillan, a spokesman for Alberta Health, said there are now no known shipments of the vaccine scheduled to enter the province, leading the province to shift the remaining supply to be administered to people who have already received an initial dose of AstraZeneca.
The NCOC, the unified government effort against the pandemic, also said in a statement that out of the 3.5 million SinoVac doses, a consignment of 1 million jabs reach the country on Sunday, while another batch of 1 million doses would arrive between May 13-15.
"Before it gets to anything more substantial, we want to pause and look at it", Williams said. Canada has agreements to purchase 20 million doses of the vaccine.
"I know that there are a number of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine that were manufactured in a plant outside of Baltimore, but that there were problems with this plant, to be honest with you".
China brushes aside concern over harm triggered by rocket debris
According to NBC News, the country's foreign ministry said the rocket would burn up on reentry, as is "common worldwide practice". Re-entry is expected to be around 2300 GMT on Saturday, according to the Pentagon, with a window of nine hours either side.
Dr. Williams revealed Monday that the province was reviewing the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine as other provinces try to figure out the best method for the remaining doses.
Guidance for Ontarians who got AstraZeneca as their first shot will be coming soon, Dr. Dirk Huyer, provincial outbreak response coordinator, said.
"There is not that much left of the existing AstraZeneca supply", she said.
So far, 10.19 million doses of different vaccines - Sinopharm, SinoVac and CanSino - have been procured from China.
Premier John Horgan, speaking to reporters Tuesday afternoon, said he has no qualms about getting a second shot of AstraZeneca.
Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams says they have been reviewing data out of the United Kingdom that shows the risk of blood clots is much lower when AstraZeneca is used as second dose.
Earlier, on Saturday, the country received 1.23m doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine under the World Health Organisation's COVAX programme.